THE PROBLEM AND ITS BACKGROUND
A library can be defined as a room or building where books are kept and referenced. It is an area of multifarious activity on book management. A library as a repository of knowledge, houses collections of books, both reference and general, technical reports, periodicals, journals, conference proceedings and the likes. Consequently, truth and knowledge can be found and acquired from the library through the aforementioned sources. The information contents of any of the collections can be recorded on microfilms, audiotapes, microchips and other materials traditionally kept in the library, which is charged with the responsibility of acquiring, organizing, maintaining, and judicial circulation of the books and other library materials through the various sections of the library, for efficient use of the library by the users. The acquisition, cataloguing, bindery and circulation sections of the library undertake the acquiring, organizing, maintaining and circulation of the books/library materials respectively.
When the library through the acquisition section of the library acquires a book, its record is taken and accession number is given to the book after which the book will be sent to cataloguing section of the library. Under this section, the book will be carefully studied and given catalogue number before it will be sent to circulation section of the library as the case may be. The circulation section is responsible for circulation or distribution of books. This section also arranges the consulted books in the shelves.
There are other sections like reference section, which provides reference questions and bibliographic service, and serial section where periodical, journals and related materials are kept. The library also houses special collections and also operates circulation control in which books are lent to users. In fact it is indeed a place of multifarious activities on book management.
1.1 Statement of the Problem
In the existing system all the transaction of books are done manually, it is taking more time for a transaction like borrowing a book or returning a book and also for searching of student and faculty members as well as the books. Another major disadvantage is that to preparing the list of books borrowed and the available books in the library will take more time, currently it is doing as a one day process for verifying all records. So after conducting the feasibility study we decided to make the manual Library management system to be computerized. Proposed system is an Online Book Reservation System. Through the developed system librarian can add members, add books, search members, search books, update information and edit information. For students and faculty members they can borrow and return books in quick time.
1.1.1 General Problem
• How to design, develop and implement an Online Book Reservation for Assumpta Academy?
The Assumpta Academy is not using the technology we have right not like an online system, they are still using the old manual type of process for borrowing books of its students and faculties. Though their library has a computer unit on it, they are still using papers and pens to record lists of their books, student and faculty borrowing of book process, produce a report for the administrator of the school. The students and faculties will always have to present their library card before the librarian allows them to borrow a book. The librarian is also having a hard time responding to the student or faculty asking about a book if its available or not because the librarian will look for their record on the paper. The penalties for the students or faculties who violates the policy of the library will be manually computed. The damaged books will also be manually recorded.
1.1.2 Specific Problems
• How to design, develop and implement a list of books module that will helps the students and school in online?
Some student faced a tough situation on reserving books manually. They need to ask the librarian personally. In this case, they only need is internet and computer to reserve books online. And the librarian doesn’t need to make a list of borrower because the system automatically makes a list of borrower.
• How to design, develop and implement a login module that will secure and prevent to threats?
In some cases, the personal information of students should be classified. because of lack in security some personal information are exposed this cases could be even more damaging to the victim. The consequences can be harmful to reputations and careers of the victims.
• How to design, develop and implement a registration module that will help the school and students?
Handles standard user registration and login functionality Registration is one of the primary modules in any system. An Online Book Reservation System starts with registering a student with the system. Customizable and scalable solution to the student.
• How will the developers design, develop, and implement an online module, where the questions that might possibly be asked by the student posted?
The difficulty using and implementing the system. The immediate Posting of information and procedures on using the system will be more helpful to the students. The Frequently Asked Questions page will allow student view the important questions that will help the students to use the system.
1.2 Current State of the Technology
Assumpta Academy currently has a manual process in lending their books to the students. There are no reservations process, only the walk-in process. The walk- in process is; first, students will go to the library and sign in to the record book. Second the student will look for the book/s he/she need. Third the student will bring the book/s to be borrowed and present his/her library ID to the librarian. Lastly, the librarian will validate the students request to borrow the book/s and write down the record into the record book and provide the students necessary information in regards with the rules and policies of borrowing books from the library.
In this system, you can easily reserve book online compare to manual reservation. You can easily access to our system but if you undergo in the process of registration, but of course you need to be a student of Assumpta Academy. After that, you can see all the available books, reserve and you can also see your transaction history from the first you created your account.
1.3 Objectives of the study
Online Book Reservation is no new to some of the biggest and well-known library here in the Philippines, University of the Philippines is the best example of an institution to automate their library. The student and faculty of Assumpta Academy will have an ease of time to reserve the books they needed for their studies or they just want to learn or they just love to read different books. The student or the faculty will just have to choose the books they want to reserve and read later on with an Online Book Reservation, pick it up the time they set and return it on the system generated date and that’s all, no hassle for them to find books manually. The Online Book Reservation also give an advantage for the librarian as it automated the generation of report, book inventory and easier retrieval of data.
1.3.1 General Objective
• To design, develop and implement an Online Book Reservation for Assumpta Academy
Facilitate better storage capacity, better sorting of efficient reports, quick sorting of information, preparation of efficient reports and accuracy of data with no redundancy, determine no inconsistency and easy to update the information of library services and operations.
1.3.2 Specific Objectives
• To design, develop and implement an registration form that will speed up the borrowing of books
The online system will have a secured, reliable registration form that will feature a verification mechanism using Short Message Service(SMS) and Electronic Mail(Email) which will verify the user’s credibility to use the system.
• To design, develop and implement an automated book inventory.
By providing data security in details which will be available on a click by providing an access to the librarian that manages the information of the books and as well as the students and faculty members.
• To design, develop and implement a paperless transactions and recording of information
In online system, the administrator will just have to monitor, wait for a notification to pop-up, there’s no need for the librarian to write down every time there’s a student or faculty borrowing a book.
1.4 Significance of the study
• Administrator. It will be an easy way for the School Administration and even for the School because of a single click of each student, the student will be able to inform the librarian that they need the book/s reserved in a particular time. And also, no need for the Admin Staffs to be so busy just to entertain students and parents who are looking for books and reserve manually.
• Librarian. Much easier work because it supports the day-to-day operations of library management system by improving various processes such as issue a book, return a book, and search a book, immediate retrieval of information. It also prevents the manual error in terms of borrower’s reservation.
• Faculty. For the faculty member and staffs to be able to save a lot of time in using library because in online reservation they only need is computer and internet compare to manual reservation, they need to go to the library and ask the librarian personally.
• Students. Easily accessible through a computer students looking for resources to make their studies easier. And to get idea about the study that they develop in the future.
• Developers. In this study, the developers were able to apply the theoretical learnings both in programming language and communication skills. The system will help the developers to acquire further knowledge about this system.
• Future developers. The future developers will be able to use the system developed as a reference for their own study and benefit them to resolve the existing errors of their system. It can also help them to gain additional ideas for accomplishing complete functionality of their system.
1.5 Scope and limitation
• Registration. The student will be able to create an account of their own in registration page by providing necessary information. This also serves as guide and reference for the admin and the librarian to easily get personal information about the borrower.
• Log-in. The students will be able to log-in with their account using their username and the password which they will create upon account registration. It also helps for the security because you cannot easily access the system by anyone who did not undergo in the process of registration.
• My Profile. The users (students/faculty members) will be able to modify and monitor their accounts in this page. They can change their password and view their transaction history. They can see the books that they borrowed from the start they created their account and if there’s a damaged book that they return and how much did he pay in all of that.
• Home. The page where in users (students/faculty members) will be able to view the activities of Assumpta Academy, the most borrowed book and as well as the new books. It also provides some photos or pictures of some facilities in the school that we captured.
• About us. A page that provide some information about the school;
• Mission and Vision of Assumpta Academy. It is public declaration that schools or other educational organizations use to describe their founding purpose and major organizational commitments. It also a public declaration that schools or other educational organizations use to describe their high-level goals for the future.
• Vicinity Map and Location Map. Vicinity map is a key inset of an overall view of a generalized area on the ROW map while the location map is used in cartography to show the location of a particular geographic area within its larger and presumably more familiar context.
• Organizational Chart. It is a diagram that shows the structure of an organization and the relationships and relative ranks of its parts and positions/jobs.
• FAQs. Frequently Asked Questions are set of information in which provide the questions usually asked by the user provided with the answers they need. It helps a lot to the user because it serves as guide about the process of the system and other information about it.
• Books. The page where list of categories of the books are being shown, this is also where the list of the available books will be displayed and reserved. It also serves as guide to the borrower because you can see the details of the book you want to borrowed including the author.
• Dashboard. Dashboard is where the data is monitored for the librarian who has the access on dashboard.
• File Maintenance. The librarian would be able to manage the records both books and users (students/faculty members) records.
• Student/Faculty record. This is where the librarian manages the records or the transaction history of student and faculty.
• Book records. The librarian will be updated of the status of the books including the damages and lost books.
• Transactions. The main use of the system is for managing all the books and student’s data, and as well as reserving the book for a specific time and day.
• Book reserve. The students can easily reserve books online using this system by the process of registration and login compare to manual reservation.
• Book return. After they borrowed books they need to return the books in a certain time. And there’s a penalty if they return it with damages.
• Utilities. The Back-up, Archive, Level of Access, Audit Trail is included in utilities.
• Report. The system can generate various reports.
• Master list of books. The system has all the list of books including the author and some details of books. It also provides the list of lost and damages books.
• Master list of users both faculty members and students. The system will provide the list of students and faculty to easily identify if there’s a problem to the borrower.
• Penalty reports. The system can provide the list of students who committed penalty on returning the books with damages or they lost it.
• The system will not generate students Learner Reference Number (LRN) and Employee Identification Number for the faculty, because LRN will be given by the DepEd and the Employee Identification Number will be coming from the Assumpta Academy.
• The system will not be able to determine if someone uses the Learner Reference Number or Employee Identification Number who didn’t originally owns it, the librarian or administrator will have to validate it when that someone picks up the book.